Friday, May 1, 2009

Hey from Auckland

Last full day in Auckland. It has been a great trip, very relaxing. Just been walking around and exploring. Everyone said it wasn't really a great city to go for holiday. I've walked pretty much the whole city in the last 3 days and I quite like it. Auckland has one tall building, Sky Tower, that you can pretty much see from any point in or around the city. Thus it is nearly impossible to get lost as you can always figure out the right direction. But it does not feel so small that there aren't things to do. There are plenty of cafes and bookshops to explore and a lot of beautiful parks. It is interesting how you see a lot of fall here, long streets with trees and leaf piles flanking either side, but turn the corner and there are palm trees and tropical plants. It is also on a very steep hill which is a bit torturous. Matt and Cindy, did you visit here?

I'll be sad to leave tomorrow. I've gotten more deep sleep in the last three days that in the last three weeks. But I have lots to do when I get back. I have to catch up on redshifting, prepare targets, sort out my trip to Europe, and then fly out again on Thursday to the telescope. Sigh. Life of an Astronomer.

Ben, I'll post pictures when I get back.

No comments: