Saturday, January 10, 2009

Its a jolly holiday with Mary...

I don't know how people don't still enjoy Disney movies, they're fabulous! I wish penguins would serve me complementary lunch and then do a jig. Though upon rewatching I find Mary Poppins to be very vain. I mean she has a specially made tape measure with her height labeled as "Mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way," who does that?

So I finally bought a bike! Its big and I'm scared of it. I've also realized after 10 minutes on it: 1. how out of shape I am and 2. how awful a sense of direction I have, but I plan to train a bit to get in shape and to get over my fear of cars before I start riding to work. Though I am pretty happy that I'll be able to ride to different suburbs rather than depending on tram lines, and be able to stay places past midnight.

I've also found my spot to read work and hang out. Its called MagNation and its basically just a magazine store but they encourage you to read the magazines in the store. It also has work areas, wireless internet, really comfy chairs, and of course, coffee . Now I prefer it be a book store but Melbourne doesn't really understand the whole bookstore/cafe thing so this will do. But the whole place is designed really well, there are three floors, and they introduced me to this great mook (magazine+book) called Dumbo Feather - pass it on... . They put out four per year and each interviews five people who are doing something interesting or exciting (often charitable). It is very refreshing and well designed.

Work is going well, a little less intimidating though I still wish I could learn faster. I am still working on the Wigglez emission line fluxes and all that we can do with them with a luminosity function as a final goal. I was hoping to figure out the K-correction code by Friday but I was distracted by working out nP for Karl. I hope to get a lot done next week since I start redshifting the following week and then observing the week after that. My six month review is supposed to be in March, so close!!!

No comments: