Saturday, January 31, 2009

Butterflies, Kargaroos, and Emus, Oh my!

Day 6 at the Telescope. Three more days to go. We have had all clear nights so far () so there has been lots to do. I am observing at Sidding Springs for Wigglez as I did last year but I have more responsibility this time around. I have learned both how to prepare the fields that we observe and how to reduce the data once it comes in (my primary job this run). So even though the summer nights are short we have been quite busy and when not preparing or reducing we are redshifting the data that has just come in.

It is beautiful here on the mountain, getting no hotter than 95 degrees at the height of the day. At the telescope we consider ourselves quite lucky given the heat wave that melted Melbourne this week. They had four straight days of 110 degree heat with 100 degree nights. The majority of the trains stopped running, suburbs had power outages, and I think by the end of the week the government instituted rolling blackouts across the city. Luckily the heat broke yesterday and will be in the low 90s when I return on Tuesday.

Observing has its advantages and disadvantages. Working for 8 14hr days can be exhausting and it can be a bit too quiet on the mountain. But everything is provided which for a student is pretty wonderful. We stay at a lodge on site where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served. If you miss any meals there is no need to worry because there is an endless supply of cookies and muffins. There is also always a pot of coffee on. I am very caffeinated. And the view is spectacular, both of the surrounding area and of course the sky.

c[_] coffee time!

Hope you all aren't freezing :)
How are you?

No comments: