Sunday, October 19, 2008

Brisbane and Back

Back from Brisbane thursday evening. It was a good trip. It is great to be part of a science team because not only do I have access to people with different expertise but they are also all interested in my work and therefore quite happy to help. I had to speak briefly about my project and the data we got in September which was painful because I didn't feel comfortable enough with all the information. The last time I presented at a WiggleZ meeting about the sky subtraction I was much more confident in what I was presenting. But I understand that it was still good for me to present. The meeting has also been useful in meeting astronomers at other institutions. There are a couple people here from CalTech one of which is a collaborator on my project and also someone from Johns Hopkins who's been at Hopkins for a year but I've never seen him before.


The social aspect was nice too. Although I feel I am always the youngest, the people I am traveling with always include me so the teasing has been bearable.

Brisbane is nice, it is very tropical (unfortunately we got more rainy days than sunny days). The city is smaller than Melbourne but still pretty lively. The transportation is of course excellent. They have these great ferries that you can get around the city on.


But I am happy to be back in Melbourne and out of a hotel. I finally won my last piece of furniture (a cute gentleman's cupboard) and am eager to get that and have some drip coffee and internet access.


OHHH yeah! and I submitted my absentee ballot! I hope it arrives in time though because I wasn't able to send it express because the envelope is supposed to be signed by the person who delivers it and it has other information on it that couldn't be covered. But it should get there.

Thats it, Good night!

No comments: